Charleston Symphony Orchestra
Music is created to celebrate and praise, proclaim joy and love, to laud triumphs. It tells us who we are, reminds us of where we've been, and helps us understand where we are headed. Join us for our voyage through the vast domain of the world's finest music during the Charleston Symphony Orchestra's 70th season!
Charleston Stage, founded by Playwright Julian Wiles in 1978, is South Carolina's largest professional theatre company. In residence at The Historic Dock Street Theatre, Charleston Stage has presented over 150 productions at the theatre and played to a collective audience of over one million strong. Charleston Stage employs 20 full-time staff members, guest artists, scores of actors, dancers, singers and musicians and TheatreWings High School Apprentices. Charleston Stage is in residence at the Histopric Dock Street Theatre.
The 2004/2005 Season will mark the 18th year of the professional company, which was founded in 1967 and started the professional component in 1987 with 14 dancers on a 26-week contract. This year the Charleston Ballet Theatre has 24 dancers on a 28-week contract, which begins in September and continues through the middle of June.
While attracting exceptional performing talent to the company, CBT has drawn some of the most notable choreographers to create works for the repertoire. CBT is the only SC Company licensed to perform the works of George Balanchine (Serenade, Allegro Brilliante, Concerto Barocco, Tarantella, Who Cares?), Jose Limon (The Moors Pavane), Salvatore Aiello (Clowns and Others, Notturno), Mark Dendy (Ballet I, Afternoon of a Fawn), Eddy Toussaint (A Simple Moment, Souvenance), David Parsons (The Envelope), and Daniel Pelzig (Nine Lives).
For over seven decades, the Footlight Players have been producing plays of professional caliber on a community level. What began as a small group in 1931 has become for Charleston a theatrical tradition, built and strengthened over many years by hundreds of willing hands, by priceless gifts of time and toil, of faith, enthusiasm and talent, freely offered and in gracious abundance and strong community support.
The first plays in 1931 were produced at the Navy Yard, then various theatres in town such as the Academy of Music, replaced by the Riviera movie theatre in 1936. In 1937, by invitation of the City of Charleston, the Footlight Players opened the newly reconstructed Dock Street Theatre with a gala production of "The Recruiting Officer." In 1934, the Footlight Players had purchased an old cotton warehouse (built c.1850) at 20 Queen Street with the idea of converting it to a theatre. In 1941 with the Dock Street Theatre no longer available to them, the Footlighters turned their warehouse....still but four walls and a roof (on which there was a debt for damages inflicted by a recent tornado.) In less than two months, through the efforts of volunteer workers, the former warehouse was completely remodeled and emerged as an informal Playhouse and Workshop. All plays were presented here for the short period of 1952 - 1954. The Footlight Players secured the lease to the Dock Street Theatre in 1958 and presented all plays there until 1986 when the company again left the Dock Street and moved back to the Workshop. Meanwhile the Workshop was used as a rehearsal hall, scenery and costume workshop and for the presentation of children's school productions.